Measuring & Improving Efficiency In The Workplace (Plus Benefits)on 5 August 2019
As technology evolves, so does the concept of workplace efficiency. More and more robust digital tools have created new ways of working and significantly increased productivity levels.
In this technologically advanced world, how can organisations properly measure and improve efficiency in the workplace? (Tweet this!) We help answer that question below.
Workplace Efficiency: Measuring, Improving, & Benefits
Measuring Efficiency In The Workplace
Before you haphazardly try to make so-called “improvements” for your employees, consider a few ways you can measure their efficiency:
- Track the number of tasks completed within a specific time frame. This works well with repeatable tasks that employees complete regularly. “For example, it could be the number of invoices processed per accounts payable worker every month,” explains Faith Kubicki of IntelliChief.
- Think about how often you ask for updates. Trivinia Barber of Priority VA provides a more off-the-cuff approach to measuring efficiency. She considers how often she has to ask each team member for updates. “I don’t want to be a helicopter CEO, so the last thing I want to do is constantly follow up with my team members. If I have to light a fire under them, they probably aren’t a good fit.”
- Use project management software. In addition to her more informal approach, Barber also recommends using technology to help keep track of how workers are performing—namely in the form of a project management or task management tool. “Everyone knows what needs to be done, and each team member is personally accountable for their assigned tasks.”
Keep employees on track and in the know with Glasscubes’ efficient project management and collaboration features. Start your free trial today.
Improving Efficiency In The Workplace
There are many ways you can improve your employees’ efficiency. Here are a few standout methods:
- Communicate clearly and effectively. Better communication between team members means less room for mistakes and rework. (Here’s some strategic guidance to prepare you for that, along with a template for when you’re ready to take action.)
- Train employees. Whether it's during onboarding or after you’ve made process or system changes, ensure your employees are trained accordingly. And make sure that training aligns with your business objectives.
- Reward employees. Incentives are important for motivating employees to get work done faster and/or better. Rewards also help employees feel valued, which will increase engagement and show in their work. “The rewards don’t necessarily have to be big. A free lunch or a random day of PTO can make all the difference,” says Chris Smith of I Am Net Worthy.
- Ensure the workplace is conducive to employee health and productivity. Allan Lopes of Healthy Building Certificate calls attention to the relationship between a healthy environment and productivity. He explains that even small environmental changes can positively impact employee efficiency, including changing filters in the A/C, switching to non-toxic cleaning products, adding indoor plants, providing natural light on workspaces, and checking water quality. “Research indicates changes like these can decrease the chance of workers getting sick, raise energy levels, and improve creativity.”
Benefits Of Efficiency In The Workplace
Why is efficiency important in the workplace? Here are a few benefits your organisation can achieve with the above guidance:
- Organisational growth. When you can do more with less, you have the opportunity to scale your operations.
- Reduced costs. This could be in the form of lower overhead, less costly processes, and fewer resources needed, among other cost factors.
- Fewer errors. More efficient employees and processes correlates with fewer errors and a higher quality product or service.
Workplace efficiency has never been higher than with Glasscubes.
Glasscubes is your go-to collaboration platform for improving efficiency in the workplace. You can use our project management features to assign work and easily track its progress through to completion. Support your tracking efforts with seamless communication and file sharing and you’ve got a one-stop shop for efficiency and productivity.
With Glasscubes, you can:
- Store and share files in a secure location, complete with automatic version control. You can even create approval workflows and view clear audit trails of user actions.
- Assign and manage tasks for different members of the team, and track them to completion.
- Communicate practically anywhere through threaded discussions on the general message board, on specific files, on assigned tasks, or through instant messenger.
Get your workplace and employees in tip-top shape with Glasscubes. Start your free trial today.
Subscribe via RSSTweets by Glasscubes
Browse by Date